Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bitter, or Better? 1 Thessalonians 5:14-18

As I sit to write this morning, I am reminded of just how ungrateful I have been this week.  I've been quick to compare myself to others and focus only on what was going on in our house on the corner.  But this morning, The Lord reminded me that things were not as bad as I had allowed myself to dream they were. 

This week has brought about many emotions that I had allowed to take root and consume me.  Monday, I sat with my thirteen year old daughter in the podiatrist office as we received news that she will be facing surgery on both of her feet to correct a bunion.  Most times, this surgery is optional, but in her case, they are severe and have to be corrected as they are causing other growth problems.  School has also had its share of challenges, as I'm sure you home school moms can relate to.  Some days are just smoother than others!  Our ten year old and eight month old are battling colds and seem to be as sensitive as their mom.  All a great reason to throw a pity party and crawl back in bed, right?  Wrong!

This morning, a dear lady we know is having surgery to remove cancer.  She will be facing a long road of recovery.  Saturday evening, I read through tears about the agony of a mother watching her two year old son battle surgery and chemotherapy to treat eye cancer.  Sunday evening during our church service, a lady shared her experiences on the mission field this summer.  We viewed pictures of people who were severely handicapped and in more physical frustration than many of us could ever dream about. 

Monday morning, I reminded my daughter that what she was facing had been planned out for us before we knew it!  We had not yet learned of this foot problem before we chose to follow the Lord's direction in home schooling.  She will not have to face the added challenges of sitting out of sports, missing class, or struggling to get around without our help.  And that reminder was directed back to me this morning as I sat ashamed of the way I had acted earlier this week.

Many of you are facing challenges far greater than my family and I have ever had to endure.  And you may question those hardships.  But learn from what I have far too often failed at and don't let those questions control you.  When you are discouraged, focus on others and your problems won't seem so big after all. 

How are you handling the problems facing you? 
Do you allow them to consume you?
Are they making you bitter or better?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I needed to hear this today! I've been struggling so much this week with discouragment. A lot of little things have been bothering me too. Sometimes, it's so hard to give thanks and rejoice in all things.

    What a blessing to know that, "God's appointment are not only sovereign, but wise and gracious. He has connected our good with His own glory and is engaged, by promise to make all things work together for our advantage. Notwithstanding any present dark appearance, it shall certainly be well with the righteous." (John Newton)

    ReplyDelete