Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dressing

It's almost time for Thanksgiving, and that means Turkey and Dressing!  My Granny Griffin taught me how to make this southern dish; and over the past several years, it has been my one of my contributions when we go to visit our family on Thanksgiving day. 

Cornbread (I buy Martha White cornmeal and make the traditional recipe in a cast iron skillet.)
7 slices white bread, toasted on both sides
1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 stick butter
2 c. celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
Turkey parts  (for stock... see instructions below)
7 c. turkey stock (You could supplement this with store bought chicken stock.  If you choose to do this, you won't need the turkey parts.)
salt & pepper to taste
5 eggs, beaten  (My Granny boils these and chops them before adding.  However, I do not like boiled eggs and choose to add them this way.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, crumbled white bread, and crumbled crackers.  Set aside. 
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent.  Pour the celery and onions over the cornbread mixture.  Add the stock, mix well.  Taste and add salt & pepper to taste.  Add beaten eggs and mix well.  Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake about 45 minutes or until cooked through.  Serve with turkey!

Turkey Broth
turkey parts (I prefer turkey wings or legs.)
8-10 c. water
season salt, pepper to taste
1/2 stick butter

In a large pot, bring the turkey and seasonings to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium high and boil until turkey is cooked.  (About 30-40 minutes.)  Reserve the broth for dressing.  Dressing calls for 7 cups of broth, but I always reserve the leftover broth just in case my dressing is not as juicy as I'd like for it to be before baking.  I do not like a dry dressing!  Also... I like to de-bone the turkey wings or legs and add some of the meat to my dressing.  If you prefer not to add to dressing, you'll have a nice snack to eat while cooking! 

Tips:
I make this dish ahead of time (leaving out the eggs) and keep in the fridge until time to bake.  (This is when the extra broth can be helpful.  Sometimes the breads soak in the allowed 7 cups and more is needed.)  If you choose to do this, allow the dressing to stand for about 1 hour at room temperature before adding the eggs and or remaining broth.  Then bake and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment