Monday, January 17, 2011

Hoecakes

I adore this cake with fresh cane syrup hot off the cast iron skillet!  An older gentleman in our church use to make this especially for me while they were preparing the meat for our annual Upward Basketball Banquets.  His wife passed this along after his death.  I think of him each time I make these delicious cakes.


1 cup self rising flour                                        
1 cup self rising corn meal
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
1/3 plus 1 Tablespoon water
Frying oil




Mix all ingredients well except for frying oil.  Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls into hot skillet.  Use approximately 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake.  Brown until crisp; turn and brown on other side.  Drain on paper towels.  Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to two days. 

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a recipe for these! The lady that my sister and I stayed with during the day when we were little made these for us so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom just started making these and I really like them! I haven't tried them with cane syrup, but I will.

    ReplyDelete