Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

This is the way my mom made Red Velvet Cake growing up.  It is simple, quick, and very moist. 

Cake:
1 Butter Recipe cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco
1 tsp. cocoa
1 oz. red food color

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat on high speed for 2 minutes.  Spray 3 9 inch pans with non-stick cooking spray and evenly pour batter into pans.  Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back. 

Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 box confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients with a mixer until creamy. 

Hint:  I made these as mini cupcakes and baked them for around 12 minutes.  I also added 1 cup of crushed Oreos to the frosting before piping it onto the mini cupcakes.  They were delicious!!!  If you're a pecan lover, you can also add chopped pecans to the frosting.


3 comments:

  1. Mmmm..Yummy! These would make perfect Christmas goodies for neighbors and friends! Thanks for the ideas. I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas and hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too, Libby! I just addressed your Chrismas card this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This was SUPER easy, SUPER moist, and SUPER good! My husband passes his compliments! I did two things different though: I couldn't find butter flavored Crisco, so I used a stick of Imperial Margarine instead. Also, I don't do layered cakes-- just not my thing! So I baked this in a bundt pan. Then the girls and I had a lot of fun making frosting flowers for the top. Thom was very, very much impressed!

    ReplyDelete