Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Meatballs

This is a family favorite passed down from my husband's mom.  I'll always cherish this recipe as it was the first meal shared between our two families.  If you love meatloaf and ketchup, this dish is one you'll really want to try!

Meatballs

4 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. milk
1 small onion (diced)
season salt, pepper, garlic powder  (Roll desired amount into meat, and use again to sprinkle before broiling.)

Sauce: 32 oz. ketchup (fill 1/2 with water)
2 tsp. sugar
4 TBSP. vinegar

Roll ingredients into meat. Roll meat into balls about 1 1/2 in. thick. Sprinkle seasonings over meatballs.  Broil in the oven until brown on the outside, turning once. Mix sauce together in a crock pot. Place meatballs into sauce and cook on high for 4-5 hours.

Meal Suggestion:
Serve meatballs and sauce over rice
Acre peas
Biscuits
 
This is an excellent meal to prepare for a family during a time of death, sickness, or welcoming a new baby. Also a very easy covered dish!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I LOVE Mrs. Harding's meatballs! I keep meaning to ask my sister for the recipe, but now I don't have to! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete