Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rise and Shine 1 Corinthians 3:11-12

This morning, my husband and I were discussing the difference between "morning people" and "night owls".  You see, he is "one of those".  And I, most certainly, am not!  My mother knows exactly what I'm talking about because she too is very much a morning person.  You know the kind; they wake up with a cheerful song and expect you to be just as enthusiastic as they are.

Or, maybe as a morning person you have to face the frustrations of living with a night owl.  10 o'clock rolls around and we're up for a game of Scrabble.  Or how about a ride around town.  You look at "us" as though we've lost our mind while you are making your preparations for bed.

Our discussion this morning led me to a realization.  I had far too long used the excuse of "I'm just not a morning person" to dictate my choice of behavior.  Do I greet the morning with a cheerful song?  No.  Will I ever?  Probably not.  But does that give me an excuse to be grumpy?  Absolutely not! 

James 1:14 reminds us that we are tempted by our own fleshly desires.  If, when I wake up, I make the decision to live for my flesh, then that is the man I will feed.  If, however, I choose to ask The Lord to use this day to serve Him, I will feed the new man (2 Corinthians 5:17). 

How we allow the morning, or evening, to rule us will most certainly "rule us".  Don't allow excuses to control and dictate your behavior.  Why do we sin?  Because we allow our fleshly man to control us.  Or, because the enemy tempts us and we allow that temptation to take root and grow.

Learn to greet the morning with a smile in your heart.  No need for a cheerful song or sprint around the block.  Just an attitude of gratitude for a brand new day to serve Him!

How is your attitude each morning? 
What needs to change?
The "blame game" is over.  Now it's up to you!

Lord, thank you for revealing to me this area of sin I have allowed to control me.  Forgive me for excusing this behavior and have mercy on me as I begin each day.

1 comment:

  1. I needed this today... well, actually this morning... thanks!

    ReplyDelete