Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Role Change 1 Corinthians 10:23-33

I was quickly reminded this morning, as I was reading my devotional, of what my purpose is for this time of my life.  For the past two Sunday evenings, our church has been challenged to evaluate what our purpose is here and now, and what our goals are for the future.  I had allowed the past few days to become pretty discouraging as I was reminiscing about the "good ole days".  Days that I'd spend the afternoon preparing for friends to come and eat dinner or dessert and hang out for the evening.  Whether swimming in the pool at our apartment, sitting in our cozy living room playing board games, or preparing to help train a young married friend some basic cooking skills, we were having fun! 

Then, our focus shifted to youth.  My husband is a full time youth minister and we have been enjoying pouring our lives into that ministry!  I remember the days of hanging out at our local coffee shop and playing Scrabble with the high school girls.  Or having sleepovers and staying up late chatting. 

However, this year's challenges have required me to focus even harder on our four children as we know The Lord has called us to home school them again this year.  All of this "change" and reminiscing had led me to have a sort of  pity party within.  Those days of staying up late playing games and hosting dinner parties may be gone.  But, as I was reading this morning from 1 Corinthians10:31 ,  I was reminded that the "good ole days" is nothing more than a role change!  Presently, my focus is to school our three older children and love on our 8 month old. 

Role changes are required as we grow older.  But the art of service remains the same.  Whether hosting parties, cooking for friends, or teaching my children, it should all be done "for the glory of God".  How about you?  Are you experiencing the aches and pains of a "role change"?  Maybe you have been called to enter the work force to help out your family.  And you don't WANT to!  Or, maybe God is leading you to stay home and you don't WANT to give up your job.  Are you being led to start a new ministry of your own, or join one that is presently meeting your needs?  Whatever you are facing today, do it all "for the glory of God".

What is your focus?
Have your "roles" changed?
Are you wallowing in self pity or living in the past?
If so... learn from this verse and CHANGE!

Thank you, Lord, for revealing this area of sin in my life and need for change.  Guide me as I accept this "role change" and embrace it as a treasured gift from You! 

2 comments:

  1. Well written and neat thought. yes, life does bring about role changes and praise the Lord that He gives us the grace and strength for each one. Loved reading and added to my bookmark :) HOpe you have a good day. Mae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Christy, and so true. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete