Wednesday, January 26, 2011

South Georgia Sweet Tea

I am not a tea drinker.  So when my husband and I were married, he showed me the way he enjoyed drinking sweet tea.  (I guess you could say this is his recipe.)  The rest of my family loves sweet tea as well, so I make it a couple of times a week. Warning:  This tea is as strong as it is sweet.  So not everyone can handle the dark, sweet flavor from this beverage. 

4 family size tea bags (I use Lipton)
2 cups of sugar



In a small size saucepan over medium heat, bring the 4 tea bags to a boil.  Simmer slowly for 1-2 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour 2 cups of sugar into a gallon size pitcher.

Using a slotted spoon, Pour water from tea over sugar; careful not to bust the tea bags or drop them into the pitcher.  Run warm water over tea bags (inside pot) and drain again.  Repeat this step 3 more times. 

Stir warm tea into sugar until dissolved.  (Your pitcher will be almost 1/2 full.)  Then turn your cold water on and run strait into pitcher.  Stirring constantly until almost full. 


Let it stand for about 30 minutes before serving as to not melt the ice.  Serve over a generous amount of ice.  Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing at this because, I also don't drink tea, and my husband also "taught" me his recipe when we married. Except his version only uses 2 teabags and 1 1/2 cups sugar.

    ReplyDelete